Northwest University Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Art Journaling by Donna Anami

My sister is a well-known, often published art journalist.  I know what you're thinking, "what in the world is an art journalist?"  It is an art form that happens when art expressions find their way into a journal.  Donna's art has been widely accepted both by the critics and by fellow artists and publishers.  (She is really good!)  As her (much) younger brother, I'm just pleased to have someone in the family that is famous.  Actually, I'm quite proud of my sister.  I love her creativity, I respect her work ethic and I admire her character!

Donna and I grew up like typical siblings--"yes," we used to even fight, but somewhere during high school we became friends--good friends.  Since that time, we have collaborated as song writers and arrangers.             

Most of you who know Donna, know her as a gifted piano player, writer, arranger musician type; but, her other creative "artful" expressions are making an impact in the Art Journaling field.  You can check out her latest creations in the 2011 Winter Edition of Art Journaling Magazine.  About 10 years ago, Donna's life took a weird turn.  Her marriage of 26 years came to an end and she was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I don't know that I could ever be more proud than I was witnessing my sister lose her hair, but not her dignity.  She was pleasant through chemo and an inspiration to everyone around her.  (She was really extraordinary)  As a survivor of breast cancer, Donna has found a way to express the deep and personal faith that carried her through that time of crisis.  In the field of Art Journaling, there are very few Christians that get published, so Donna's work is unique.


Her "stuff" is also very creative!   I often wish that my sister's life had been an easier road, but I know that God does take the life of a submitted Believer and they become a living fulfillment of Romans 8:28.  "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."  There is no doubt that Donna's faith is a very bright light that is having an effect on the world around her.  Did I say that I was "proud" of my sister?  "Yea--I'm proud!"


Notice how Donna has woven her faith into the art itself.  This isn't a subtle ploy on her part--it is a part of who she is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment